A friend of mine, Pati, shared a page from a book with me and our friends. I really like this page and directly researched where it came from. Apparently, it was a page from a book by Matt Haig called “Reasons to Stay Alive”.
The book was short, warm and engaging. I would personally describe it as a memorie about the life of the author Matt Haig and his battle with depression.
Matt captivated the reader by taking us deep within his thinking and his mind describing how he went from trying to commit suicide to learning how to stay alive and cope with his depression.
It’s very courageous of Matt to write this book and he is showing readers that if he (and others) have made it, then everyone can.
As I was reading the book, I was interested in a part where he wrote about the things that he enjoyed ever since he thought that he would never enjoy anything (long sentence yes?!)
As I was reading through this list, I realized that what makes life worthwhile are these little things that we stumble upon day in day out in out waking life.
For that reason, I started a list of the things that I enjoyed about life, thus, my own reasons to stay alive.
- Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar (I am actually having one as I write this post)
- Writing a list (oh I just love making lists!)
- Ticking off items from my to-do list
- Wearing something nice
- Wearing a new perfume
- Eating chocolate croissant (the real fluffy ones)
- Reading a nice book
- Finishing a nice book (thanks Matt!)
- Fadi’s smile 🙂 (oh that smile!)
- Making a funny joke (that Fadi would complement me for!)
- Eating Sushi
- Drinking rosé wine
- Wasabi peanuts
- Shelled peanuts (the ones the elephants love too!)
- Frozen Margaritas
- Mom’s comfort food
- Cheese tortellini
- Guacamole sauce
- My aunt’s house in Arizona
- Listening to a nice song
- A good conversation
- Helping someone
- Meeting new people while traveling
- Smelling the woods
- Walking in nature
- Driving my motorcycle
- Sharpening a pencil
- Making my bed in the morning (sorry I couldn’t keep this one out!)
- Listening to Pink!
- BBQ in the sun
- Manouché (Lebanese pizza like pastry with thyme)
- Gathering with my school mates (Pat, Pam and Dan not in any order ;))
- Seeing my best friend Rita and her daughter Ella Maria
- Giving stuff away
- Waiting to see what tomorrow brings
- Tidying my closet
- Packing for a trip
- Unpacking from a trip
- Giving someone a gift
- Watching movies
- Pop corn
- Jerereng (the green prune-like fruit)
- A deep sleep
- Cooking something delicious
- Fadi my husband
- Sun tanning
- Swimming in cold water (even though I do not admit it!)
- Getting my nails done (did I just write that in public?)
- Long discussions after going to bed
- Fattoush salad
- Green grass
- Smiling to a stranger
- Talking to elderly people
- Receiving gifts
- Celebrating my birthday
- Celebrating the new year
- The smell of switzal
- Small baby animals (ohh the hedgehogs!)
- Green lizards, green worms, green snakes (everything green)
- Organizing stuff
- Having people complement my organization skills
- Helping someone
- Kissing, making love and all these romantic stuff
- Getting drunk
- Going on road trips
- Long discussions with Family!
- The good feeling after a workout
- Washing the car (or let’s be realistic, seeing it being washed, I personally do not like washing it myself!)
- Taking a long bath/shower
- Looking at old pictures
- Feeling the sand below my feet
- Sleeping in a nice hotel
- A boat trip with my Kptn Brother!
- White beddings and white towels (I hope my mom doesn’t read this one!)
- Talking… (Oh you do not want to be around when I start!)
- Sharing my life with Fadi
- Writing a blog post
- Enjoying the simple things in life
Thank you Matt for the nice book, it sure was a good exercise to appreciate the small things/blessings in my life.
I will continue updating this list and will hopefully find more and more reasons to stay alive and to enjoy my life!
What about you? What are the reasons that keep you alive?